Thursday 19 July 2012

No more shades of grey for me........

Following on from the brilliant marketing strategy by Sainsbury's - placing the erotic novel 'The Fifty Shades of Grey' in a display alongside Duracell batteries, I will unfortunately no longer be using one of my oft-repeated truisms in my Citizenship and Geography lessons......invariably with any issues-based learning it soon becomes clear to the students that there are rarely right and wrong answers and that usually problems require solutions that involve compromise and result in advantages and disadvantages...basically, life is unlikely to be simple: not so much black and white, more varying shades of grey in between. This comment, which I have happily used for almost a quarter of a century without incident, has on two recent occasions led to uncontrollable guffaws and snorting, particularly when I revealed at first that I quite genuinely had no idea what they were laughing about. Now I do know their hilarity makes sense.....oh well, another little avenue of nonsense has been blocked, possibly temporarily, but my own confidence in my dissemination of 'wisdom' has taken a knock....last week I said something in class which I thought was quite profound - so profound I can't quite remember it - only for a student to nod appreciatively and supportively and say 'I SO agree with that Mr M.....I heard that saying on Kung Fu Panda............'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link to WWT - Welney

Link to WWT - Welney
Some awesome birding opportunities.....