Wednesday 1 January 2014

The Big Year (2011) Movie Trailer HD

I was recommended this film by a friend and I have to say I really enjoyed it because it brought back memories of my own 'Big Year' in the UK in 2003. A close friend of mine had mentioned a desire to see 300 species in the UK in a calendar year and I agreed to help him achieve his goal. I had no idea what a journey...and a challenge.....it would be. In the space of 12 months we covered most of the British Isles....from the Scottish Highlands and the Welsh Borders to the flatlands of East Anglia and the urban heart of London. We even spent a day on a ship watching seabirds around the Isles of Scilly. The sense of satisfaction when a bird was successfully identified and added to the total is hard to describe. We had luck....good and bad. And lots of laughs. And a great sense of achievement on reaching a total of 306 species. For me, perhaps, as a geographer it was simply having an excuse to spend time in some amazing landscapes that is possibly the most memorable aspect of the year.This film evoked some fantastic memories and it dwells appropriately on the relationships that develop on your adventures....I thoroughly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link to WWT - Welney

Link to WWT - Welney
Some awesome birding opportunities.....