Monday 17 December 2012

Fascinated by owls......


I arrived home late last night and as I unloaded my car a tawny owl called loudly literally just a few feet from where I was standing. I stood and stared in to the darkness and after a few moments it called again, except this time closer. I waited for a while and the next time it called it was further away again. I have to admit I love owls.......the mystery that surrounds them - their ability to blend in, almost disappear, the way they observe you and their stealth, the ability to fly undetected in silence. These pictures of great grey owls were sent to me by a friend and encapsulate everything that is marvellous about them. One of my life ambitions is one day to see a great grey owl in the wild in northern Europe....it fascinates me how such a striking and large bird can disappear almost at will, as these pictures demonstrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link to WWT - Welney

Link to WWT - Welney
Some awesome birding opportunities.....